Regional event support
About the Regional Development Program
Events play a key role in fostering regional tourism and economic development. Tourism is an essential industry to many rural and regional centres, ensuring economic stability, and events can be a cost-effective way of promoting a region and its attractions – as an event grows, it attracts tourists in its own right.
The positive economic impact and interest in a community that a successful regional event can provide not only helps to build a sense of local pride but can also foster confidence and strengthen the community as a whole.
Tourism and Events Queensland's (TEQ) Regional Development Program (RDP) is an investment program designed to extend the flow of economic and social benefits of events to regional Queensland.
Through the RDP, TEQ works with local councils and Regional Tourism Organisations (RTOs) to fund events that will help attract visitors to Queensland and encourage future tourism and investment.
RDP funded events range from music, art and food festivals, to sporting events and regional and cultural celebrations. These events showcase regional Queensland, attract visitors, and retain valuable tourism dollars.
TEQ has created the most comprehensive portfolio of supported events of any state in Australia with more than $24.6 million invested through the RDP across 1,132 events since 2001.
Types of funding available to regional events
The RDP offers two funding options for regional events:
- Core Event Funding – single year event support of between $10,000 and $45,000
- Significant Regional Events Scheme – single or multi-year support (up to three years) up to $100,000 per year for three years
How the funding can be used
Funding can be used for one or more of the following four uses:
- Marketing costs associated with the event that increase awareness and visitation. This could include online marketing, webcasts, brochures, posters, TV or radio advertising, etc.
- Strategic plans to address long-term development of the event. This could include business plans or succession plans, etc.
- The engagement of short term (maximum six months), specialised personnel to further develop and/or market the event.
- Hire of temporary infrastructure which may improve access, visitor experience or the safety of the event. This could include items such as temporary toilets, fencing, disability equipment, etc.
To be eligible to apply for funding through the RDP an event must meet the following key objectives:
- Attract external visitation to the destination
- Enhance the profile and appeal of the host destination
- Generate local economic activity and development
- Demonstrate future growth and sustainability
Applying for funding
There are typically two funding rounds each year for the RDP, closing in February and August each year.
Round 28 - Applications OPEN
Round applications will close at 5:00pm 13 February 2015.
Round 28 applies to events held between 1 October 2015 and 31 March 2017.
Expected announcement of successful applications: May 2015.
The 18-month date ranges for funding rounds will ensure that successful events have at least five months lead time to effectively use funding to promote and maximise event outcomes.
Supporting documents for your Round 28 application are also available for download:
Downloading the Round 28 Application Form
To download the Round 28 Application Form you must follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Download Application Form link below.
- Depending on your Web browser, select either the Save Target As or Save Link As option and save a copy of the Application Form to your computer.
- Find where you have saved the Application Form on your computer.
- Open the saved Application form in Acrobat Reader.
- Complete the application process in Acrobat Reader and save the changes to your computer.
- Email the completed Application form on your computer to email@example.com.
If you have any questions about the application process or have any technical issues downloading the Round 28 Application Form, please contact TEQ on (07) 3535 3535 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org well before the application closing date.
Events supported under Round 27: