Plans and Strategies
Tourism and Events Queensland and Stakeholder plans and strategies guiding the development and promotion of Mackay.
Mackay Destination Tourism Plan
The Mackay Region Destination Tourism Plan, in articulating the agreed tourism direction for the destination, provides the strategic platform and priority actions for:
- guiding Tourism and Events Queensland’s, Mackay Tourism Ltd's and other stakeholders' individual planning and programs; and
- fostering the efficient, effective and coordinated use of resources to grow sustainable tourism development in the Mackay Region to 2020.
Mackay Tourism Opportunity Plan
The purpose of The Mackay Region Tourism Opportunity Plan (TOP) is to provide direction for the sustainable development of tourism in the Mackay region.
This document is an update of the Mackay Whitsundays Regional Tourism Investment and Infrastructure Plan (RTIIP) 2006-2016. This plan however, relates only to the Mackay region (a separate document has been developed for the Whitsundays region).
The original Mackay Whitsunday RTIIP was the first created in Queensland. This new document focuses on the priority catalyst projects for the Mackay region as determined in consultation with the Queensland State Government, Mackay Regional Council, Isaac Regional Council, Mackay Tourism Limited, Regional Development Australia Mackay Whitsunday Issac (RDA) and industry. It reflects the changing priorities over the last five years and also notes that some of the existing catalyst projects identified in the previous RTIIP have been completed.
The Mackay Region TOP aims to:
- Identify opportunities to develop new and existing tourism product that meets future visitor expectations and demands;
- Identify investment and infrastructure needs that support the ongoing development of tourism;
- Provide relevant research-based information on tourism supply and demand; and
- Provide an agreed focus and mechanism for engagement with the tourism industry and private investors.
Key projects that have been identified include the Eungella and Pioneer Valley Tourism Node, Mining Trail, Major Fishing Event Infrastructure and Mackay Tourism Events.