About the Queensland Destination Events ProgramEvents play a key role in fostering regional tourism and economic development. Tourism is an essential industry to many rural and regional centres, ensuring economic stability, and events can be a cost-effective way of promoting a region and its attractions – as an event grows, it attracts tourists in its own right.
The positive economic impact and interest in a community that a successful regional event can provide not only helps to build a sense of local pride but can also foster confidence and strengthen the community as a whole.
The Queensland Destination Events Program (QDEP), formerly the Regional Development Program (RDP), seeks to leverage the crucial link between events and the destinations in which they are staged, extending the flow of the economic, marketing and social benefits of events throughout metropolitan and regional Queensland.
Within this context, the aims and objectives of the QDEP are as follows:
- Generate local economic activity and development in the host destination
- Attract external visitation to the destination
- Drive social and community outcomes for the host destination, noting the important link between community outcomes and economic benefits
- Enhance the profile and appeal of the host destination
Type of funding available to eventsThe QDEP offers two funding options for regional events:
- Destination Event funding – single year funding for developing events seeking growth ($10,000 - $25,000 per year)
- Significant Event funding – single year or up to three years of funding for events that can demonstrate a strong track record of growth or growth potential ($25,000 - $100,000 per year)
How the funding can be used
- Marketing costs
- Strategic plan development
- Engagement of short-term specialised personnel
- Hire of temporary infrastructure
To be eligible to apply for funding through the QDEP, an event must meet the following key objectives:
Destination event funding
- The event must take place wholly within Queensland
- The applicant must be able to demonstrate the historical size of the event in terms of:
- Spectator numbers
- Participant numbers, and/or
- Media profile
- The applicant must be able to demonstrate the event's capacity to grow against the baseline
Significant event fundingIn addition to the criteria for Destination Event funding, events seeking Significant Event funding must meet the following criteria:
- Your event is in (at a minimum) its third year
- Proposed events date fall within the funding round
- All relevant supporting documents have been provided
- The event must have received a minimum of one year of support under the Destination Event program and have met all the requirements as outlined in the contract
- Funding of no more than 25% of the total event cash expense budget may be applied for
- The event must provide a recent report showing evidence of the total number of event attendees (including participants and spectators), specifically detailing the breakdown and number of visitors from outside the region; this information must be independently gathered and reported, or independently verified
- The event must present a strong opportunity for Queensland and demonstrate extensive recognition outside the region in which it is held in terms of visitation and/or media profile
Please note, from Round 6 onward Significant funding applications will only be accepted following invitation by TEQ.
For more information on eligibility, funding uses, funding conditions, and the application process please click the following link: QDEP Funding Guidelines.
Applying for funding
Round 6 has now closed.
Refer to the schedule below for details of eligible event dates and the details of future funding rounds.
Please note that results from your current event must be included in your funding application, therefore your current event must be completed before you can apply for funding.
|Funding Round||Round Opens||Round Closes||Eligible Event Dates|
|7||13 March 2017||14 June 2017||December 2017 - January 2019|
|8||July 2017||October 2017||April 2018 - June 2019|
|9||November 2017||February 2018||August 2018 - November 2019|
To apply for Destination event funding: Destination event funding application form
Please note, applicants will now be required to submit an expression of interest for Significant event funding: Significant event funding Expression of Interest form
TEQ will contact applicants to discuss their expression of interest and to provide further information on the process for submitting an application for Significant event funding.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact TEQ on (07) 3535 3535 or via email at email@example.com
Register for TEQ Industry News to receive notifications on QDEP opening/closing dates and information on future rounds.