Business Events is a collective term referring to corporate and government meetings, incentive travel reward programs, association conventions, and exhibitions.
Tourism and Events Queensland (TEQ) works in collaboration with the State's Convention Bureaux and industry to secure business events that provide economic benefits to Queensland's destinations as well as strong alignment to Queensland Government's Priority Sectors.
Business events represent one of the highest yielding sectors in Australia’s visitor economy. According to the Business Events Council of Australia Report on the Value of Business Events to Australia (FY-19 high-level update), in FY-19, the business events sector was worth a record A$35.7billion to Australia’s economy.
TEQ manages two funding programs that are available to assist eligible applicants with their bids - the Acquisition and Leveraging Fund and the National Business Events Program.
National Business Events Program (NBEP)
The Program provides funding to support the recovery of the Queensland Business Events sector by attracting national conferences, conventions, exhibitions and corporate events with a view to drive economic activity and increase visitation to the State.
Click here to access the Eligibility Criteria and Application Form.
Applicants may apply for funding between $17,500 and $95,000 (excluding GST) based on $50 per in-person delegate attending a two-day Event, or $100 per in-person delegate attending an Event with a minimum duration of three days.
Funding is subject to availability, eligibility check and assessment. Successful applicants must enter into a TEQ Funding Agreement and provide evidence of an executed Venue Agreement which demonstrates the proposed delegate numbers in your application.
How the funding can be used
The funding must be spent in Queensland and can be applied to costs associated with the Event venue, accommodation and ground transfers.
Who can apply
The Event Underwriter can only apply to the Program.
For clarity, the Event Underwriter is the entity who has the rights to conduct the Event (i.e. rights for management, organisation, promotion etc. and all the intellectual property rights, logos, names and marks pertaining to the Event) and who underwrites the financial risk of the entire Event.
Applications will open 9.00am on Friday, 30 July 2021 and close 5.00pm on Thursday, 30 September 2021 or prior depending on funding availability.
To be eligible to apply for funding, the Event must satisfy the following criteria:
- The Event Underwriter must be the applicant.
- The Event is a national association or corporate event.
- The Event is not already confirmed for Queensland and the Event Underwriter is considering destinations outside of Queensland.
- The Event attracts between 350 and 950 in-person delegates each day (virtual attendees must not be included as part of this number).
- The Event attracts over 50% in-person delegates from outside the local government area (LGA) of the Event destination e.g. if your event was to be held in Brisbane and attracts 350 delegates, 175 delegates must come from outside Brisbane's LGA)
- The Event has a minimum duration of 2 days.
- The Event is held by 31 December 2022.
- The Event Underwriter is in a position to decide on the successful destination and accept the funding offer within 3 weeks (15 business days) of the funding offer being made.
Eligible events will be able to submit an application for funding support which will then be subject to a rigorous assessment process.
To download a copy of the Program and Eligibility Criteria, please click here.
Note: For national events that meet the above eligibility criteria and attract over 950 in-person delegates each day, and will be held before 31 December 2024, a direct enquiry for funding support can be sent to TEQ's Business Events team via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Business Events Acquisition and Leveraging Fund (ALF)
TEQ's ALF provides bid support to assist in securing international business events to Queensland. To enquire about potential funding assistance, please complete the enquiry form here.
To be eligible to apply for funding, the following criteria must be met:
- The Event must be an International Event.
- For International Corporate Incentive Groups only, there must be a minimum 200 international delegates in attendance per day.
- For International Association Conferences only, there must be a minimum of 400 delegates in attendance each day, of which 50% must have travelled from overseas.
- The Event must be in the bidding phase and must be bidding against international destinations. No confirmed Events will be considered.
Alternatively, you can contact your local Convention Bureau to discuss how they can provide assistance including the provision of relevant destination information.
Convention Bureau Contact Details:
Brisbane Economic Development Agency
Business Events – Cairns & Great Barrier Reef
Business Events Sunshine Coast
Gold Coast Business Events
Townsville Enterprise Convention Bureau