Chinese National Day GOLDEN WEEK
1-7 October 2019
Tuesday, 1 October 2019 is the National Day of the People’s Republic of China. To celebrate this special occasion, the Chinese government created a seven-day holiday period, from 1-7 October, known as the Golden Week. There are two Golden Weeks in a year, with the other Golden Week taking place during the Chinese New Year. Both Golden Weeks are peak travel seasons for Chinese to undertake domestic and outbound tourism activities.
Tourism and Events Queensland will be partnering with Alipay for their Global Golden Week Campaign driving awareness and increased visitor expenditure over the key holiday period from 1-7 October 2019.
ALIPAY GLOBAL CAMPAIGN
20 September 2019 – 20 October 2019
Alipay users can scan a campaign QR code and receive an Alipay Global Travel Gift Pack with the opportunity to unlock up to five benefits for redemption offering a maximum reward amount of 2,888 Chinese yuan (approximately $600).
The Global Travel Gift Pack contains five benefits funded by Alipay for redemption as well as local merchant offers.
As a merchant, all you have to do is make sure you’re ready to accept Alipay and have campaign collateral properly displayed in your shop in order to take advantage of the marketing opportunity.
Users will receive push messages increasing awareness of the campaign before departure and are encouraged to make multiple transactions to maximise their benefits.
TEQ will be promoting the campaign through out-of-home media placements during key travel periods.
How can you leverage this opportunity for your business:
- Set up Alipay if you haven’t done so and train your staff so that you are ready to receive transactions. More information on Chinese payment platforms can be found here.
- Make sure your merchant listing is up to date.
- Provide a quality coupon to drive traffic online and make sure staff are aware of the offer. (Coupons don’t have to be big value discounts, but should be relevant to the campaign to attract the attention of users).
- Visibly display the Golden Week Global Campaign “Gift Bag” collateral so that Chinese travellers know they can redeem their Alipay benefits with your business. Campaign collaterals will be distributed by Alipay and its payment acquirers.
Contact your payment acquirer to get on board.
Don't have a payment acquirer? Find out more here.
Need more information?
Your payment provider is your primary contact for managing your Alipay presence, but here are some further resources that could help:
- Not a lot of time? Check out these China Payment Videos which summarise the world of Chinese payment systems.
- China Factsheets: to learn more about who the Chinese traveller and Queensland’s capacity to attract Chinese Visitors.
- China Payment Toolkit: a practical guide for tourism operators to understand the payment ecosystem, how it works and how to get involved.
- China Payment Provider Checklist: a snapshot of the payment ecosystem, key payment providers and how to get involved.
- China Payment Expos: full-length presentation videos providing an overview of the ecosystem and an introduction to Alipay and UnionPay.
- Ensure you're subscribed to our industry newsletter Eye on Q to keep up to date on new training programs and resources.
Recent consumer research by Nielsen on the outbound Chinese tourism and consumption trends highlighted that 91 per cent of Chinese travellers indicated they would show greater willingness to spend and shop if overseas merchants accepted Chinese mobile payment, with 93 per cent indicating they would spend more. Ensure your business is set up to accept payments and capitalise on this opportunity.