Information current 13 August 2020
How to run COVID Safe Events in Queensland
Events are able to be staged in Queensland in compliance with relevant COVID Safe plans.
On this page:
- All events must be able to comply with having one person per four square metres of useable space (including staff and other people on site).
- All events must adhere to the principles and strategies in the approved Industry Framework for COVID Safe Events. The Industry Framework has been developed in consultation with stakeholders by the Queensland Tourism Industry Council together with Griffith University, Tourism and Events Queensland the Department of State Development, Tourism and Innovation. All event organisers need to familiarise themselves with the approved Industry Framework as it is applicable for all events, setting out the key principles and strategies to limit the risk of transmission of COVID-19 in event environments.
Event Organisers should identify whether any of the following Approved Plans are applicable to their event in whole or in part:
- COVID Safe Industry Plans for specific industries, such as community sports, live music and hotels
- Site Specific COVID Safe Plan for the venue in which the event is being held, such as a stadium or convention centre
- COVID Safe Professional Sporting Code Plans for professional sporting events.
Where an Approved Plan covers all facets of the event, the event may operate in compliance with the Approved Plan rather than in accordance with the COVID Safe Event Checklist or a COVID Safe Event Plan.
Organisers of events that are larger than 500 people and operating in compliance with an Approved Plan other than a COVID Safe Event Plan must notify the Public Health Unit of the event a minimum of 10 business days before the event by emailing COVID-19.Industryplans@health.qld.gov.au.
The following information needs to be provided to the Public Health Unit:
- Business name of the company/organisation which is holding the event
- Trading name of the company/organisation which is holding the event
- Key contact person(s) that can answer queries regarding the event (before/during/after)
- Position in organisation
- Phone number(s)
- Postal address
- Name of the event
- Date(s) the event will be held
- Duration of the event (start and finish times)
- Location of the event (if multiple locations, each location & start/finish times for each)
- Which Approved Plan/s they are intending to operate under
- Estimated/known number of people attending the event (including staff)
- Overview of activities that will be occurring at the event. eg. sport competition, food stalls, merchandising, entertainment, rides, fireworks etc.
Option Two - event not covered in full/at all by an approved plan
Where only parts of an event are covered by an Approved Plan, event organisers must develop a COVID SAFE Event Plan or use the COVID Safe Event Checklist (if less than 500 people). The COVID Safe Event Plan should refer to the relevant components of Approved Plans which are applicable to the respective parts of the event.
Pending the size of your event, you will need Queensland Health approval:
- Events up to 500 people: no Queensland Health approval needed when following a COVID Safe Event Checklist
- Events 500 – 10,000 people: develop a COVID Safe Event Plan for approval from the local Public Health Unit
- Events of more than 10,000 people: develop a COVID Safe Event Plan for approval from the Chief Health Officer
See full details in the official Business, Activities and Undertakings Public Health Direction.
Read this fact sheet, including a decision tree, to help understand what you will need to have in place in order to stage an event.Additional fact sheets to assist event organisers to understand the Framework are available on the Queensland Government's COVID-19 website.
There are also a series of Frequently Asked Questions you can refer to.
Phone: 134 COVID (134 268 43)