The Queensland Government, together with Regional Tourism Organisations around the state, is giving Queenslanders the opportunity to explore their incredible backyard with a series of ‘Holiday Dollars’ travel vouchers to spend on tourism experiences and help boost visitor economies around the state.
The Holiday Dollars program was launched in Cairns & Great Barrier Reef in March 2021, and now extends to also include Brisbane, the Whitsundays and the Gold Coast. The program has been designed to support those regions most impacted by the loss of international visitors. By incentivising visitors to book tourism experiences, we may also see visitors extend their length of stay which generates benefits across the tourism sector – by staying longer in their accommodation, creating more opportunities to eat out and explore the local shopping opportunities. By encouraging a longer length of stay, the campaign may further stimulate and spread visitor spend throughout these regions. The campaign will also support longer term domestic tourism growth by showcasing the diverse tourism experiences on offer.
Destination Gold Coast, together with the Queensland Government, has announced the extension of the Holiday Dollars program to the Gold Coast, launching Monday 7 June 2021. There will be 30,000 vouchers worth $100.00 (inc. GST) each for Queensland residents to 'Come and Play' on the Gold Coast. The vouchers can be used to claim 50 per cent of any eligible accommodation or tourism experience booked, up to a maximum of $100.00 (inc. GST).Following the successful launch of the voucher program in other parts of the state, the Gold Coast campaign has been specifically designed to attract people to enjoy the wide range of accommodation around the region, as well as to get out and explore attractions and tours. All Queenslanders over the age of 18 (including Gold Coast residents) are eligible to apply for a voucher.
The campaign will run from June to September 2021.
Click here to view the webinar recording
- Businesses listed in the following ATDW categories: Accommodation, Tours, Attractions
- Transport that includes a tourism experience. For example, touring including water transfers to islands, bus and coach tours and
- tourism experience that includes a transfer.
- Dining inclusions with a tourism experience, where the tourism experience is the booking lead.
- Cultural tourism experiences. For example, exhibition and dining packages.
- Businesses listed in the following ATDW categories: Transport, Hire, Food and Drink, Event, Journey, Information Services, Destination Information.
- Airbnb, Hipcamp Australia and similar types of app-driven holiday letting.
- Rentals/hire including cars, campervans, bicycles, kayaks, SUP, boat and leisure craft that is not part of an integrated tourism experience.
- Independent transport that is not part of a tour. For example, airport transfer, shuttle bus and public transport.
- Cultural tourism experiences that include theatre shows, concerts and festivals.
- Restaurants, bars and cafes.
- Gift shops and shopping outlets.
- Annual Passes.
- Eligible operators will need to have an active ATDW listing and then register in the operator portal to take part in the campaign. Operator registration is open from 3 June - 21 July 2021. Registering to participate will ensure you are set up in Tourism and Events Queensland’s (TEQ) finance system in order to process reimbursement.
- From 16 June, those successful in obtaining a voucher will be directed to Queensland.com to browse the list of participating operators. They’ll have five weeks to book their accommodation/experience (booking period is 16 June - 21 July 2021), for travel up to 17 September 2021.
- When they make their booking, the customer can use their voucher to cover up to 50 per cent of the total cost, up to $100 (inc. GST). They will pay the remaining cost. The operator must 'claim' the booking in the voucher portal and validate the unique voucher code at the time the booking is made.
- When the guest checks in to their accommodation or experience, the operator will verify their identity.
- After the guest checks out/the experience is taken, the operator marks the booking as ‘complete’ in the portal. An invoice can then be generated, and TEQ processes the reimbursement to cover the value of the voucher used on the booking.
Additional vouchers announced - 11 July 2021
The Gold Coast Holiday Dollars campaign will be boosted this week, with a further 10,000 vouchers to be distributed to lucky recipients who missed out in the original draw. Following a strong start to the campaign booking period, Destination Gold Coast (DGC) and Tourism and Events Queensland (TEQ) have partnered to provide the campaign with this boost and keep the strong booking momentum continuing for participating operators.
The vouchers will be distributed to recipients on Sunday, 11 July and will operate in exactly the same way as the original vouchers – they will provide a 50 per cent discount on accommodation or tourism experiences up to a total $100.00 (inc. GST), and will be valid for bookings from now until 21 July, for travel until 17 September.
The new voucher holders will be directed to Queensland.com to see the deals on offer from participating operators. You don’t need to do anything different in order to take bookings with these new vouchers, you’re already set up and ready to go.
This is a great opportunity to ensure you have a great Holiday Dollars deal loaded into the Australian Tourism Data Warehouse (ATDW). Page 16 of the operator handbook shows you how to load this into ATDW.
A further 19,000 Brisbane Holiday Dollars vouchers will be distributed on Monday 12 July 2021 to lucky recipients who missed out in the original draw.
Brisbane Economic Development Agency (Brisbane EDA) and Tourism and Events Queensland (TEQ) have partnered to provide the Brisbane region’s tourism operators with this boost and keep the bookings coming in for participating operators.
The vouchers will be distributed to recipients by text and email and will operate in exactly the same way as the original vouchers – they will provide a 50 per cent discount on accommodation or tourism experiences up to a total $100.00 (inc. GST), and will be valid for bookings and travel through until 15 August.
What do you need to do?
- You don’t need to do anything different in order to take bookings with these new vouchers, you’re already set up and ready to go.
- Holiday Dollars deals previously loaded through ATDW have expired and will not display to consumers. Instead, all participating operators will be displayed on the Queensland.com campaign page.
- We highly recommend that you take the opportunity to load a Holiday Dollars deal into ATDW as soon as possible. Deals loaded will be featured on the campaign landing page at Queensland.com and we have seen that those businesses with great value deals attract the most interest and bookings from voucher holders. The process to load a deal remains the same.
All booking and reimbursement processes also remain the same as per the first campaign. You can consult the original operator handbook for more details on the booking, reimbursement and deal loading processes if you need a reminder.
Please contact us if you have any questions or issues with the new vouchers.
TEQ Operator Support (Mon-Fri):
Brisbane Holiday Dollars resources
The next phase of Cairns Holiday Dollars kicks off on Wednesday, 7 July 2021 to provide immediate support to tourism experiences for the remaining school holidays and beyond. Cairns Holiday Dollars vouchers worth $200 each will be distributed every day at Cairns Airport from 7 – 30 July, giving the voucher holder a 50 per cent discount on tourism experiences, up to a total of $200.00 (inc. GST).
The vouchers will work in exactly the same way as they previously did.
What do you need to do?
- If you DO NOT want to participate in this next phase of the campaign, please complete this form to opt out. If you take no action, you will continue as a registered operator in the campaign and can take bookings with the vouchers from Wednesday.
- Holiday Dollars deals previously loaded through ATDW have expired and will not display to consumers.
- All participating operators will be displayed on the Queensland.com campaign page. As an optional extra, if you’d like to load a Holiday Dollars deal into ATDW, you should do this as soon as possible. Deals loaded will be featured on the campaign landing page at Queensland.com and we have seen that those businesses with great value deals attract the most interest and bookings from voucher holders. The process to load a deal remains the same.
All booking and reimbursement processes also remain the same as per the first campaign – however in this phase, any of your available products are able to booked using the voucher, you are not limited to your Holiday Dollars deal. You can consult the original operator handbook for more details on the booking, reimbursement and deal loading processes if you need a reminder.
A new campaign page for consumers has been updated and sent live to provide new voucher holders with all the info they need.