The Queensland Government, together with Regional Tourism Organisations around the state, is giving Queenslanders the opportunity to explore their incredible backyard with a series of ‘Holiday Dollars’ travel vouchers to spend on tourism experiences and help boost visitor economies around the state.
The Holiday Dollars program was launched in Cairns & Great Barrier Reef in March 2021, and now extends to Brisbane and the Whitsundays. There are also plans to extend the program to the Gold Coast. The program has been designed to support those regions most impacted by the loss of international visitors.
Tourism operators in these destinations are encouraged to get involved in this major tourism campaign. Click on your region for more information.
Brisbane Economic Development Agency (Brisbane EDA), together with the Queensland Government, welcomes the extension of the Holiday Dollars program to the state’s capital city, commencing in late April 2021.
In Brisbane there will be 30,000 vouchers available, worth $100.00 (inc. GST) each for Queensland residents to enjoy tourism experiences in the Brisbane region. The vouchers can be used to claim 50 per cent of any eligible accommodation or tourism experience booked, up to a maximum of $100.00 (inc. GST).
This campaign has been designed to attract people to enjoy the wide range of accommodation around the region, as well as to get out and explore attractions and tours. All Queenslanders over the age of 18 (including Brisbane residents) are eligible to apply for a voucher.
How to get involved
Accommodation and tourism experiences are eligible to take part in the Brisbane Holiday Dollars campaign.
- Businesses listed in the following ATDW categories: Accommodation, Tours, Attractions.
- Transport that includes a tourism experience. For example, touring including water transfers to islands, bus and coach tours and tourism experience that includes a transfer.
- Dining inclusions with a tourism experience, where the tourism experience is the booking lead.
- Cultural tourism experiences. For example, exhibition and dining packages.
- Businesses listed in the following ATDW categories: Transport, Hire, Food and Drink, Event, Journey, Information Services, Destination Information.
- Airbnb, Hipcamp Australia and similar types of app-driven holiday letting.
- Rentals/hire including cars, campervans, bicycles, kayaks, SUP, boat and leisure craft that is not part of an integrated tourism experience.
- Independent transport that is not part of a tour. For example, airport transfer, shuttle bus and public transport.
- Cultural tourism experiences that include theatre shows, concerts and festivals.
- Restaurants, bars and cafes.
- Gift shops and shopping outlets.
- Annual Passes.
For full details on eligibility and requirements to participate, please see the Brisbane Holiday Dollars Operator Handbook.
How it works – quick overview
- Eligible operators will need to have an active ATDW listing and then register in the operator portal to take part in the campaign. Operator registration is open from 22 April – 4 June 2021. Registering to participate will ensure you are set up in Tourism and Events Queensland’s (TEQ) finance system in order to process reimbursement.
- From 6 May, those successful in obtaining a voucher will be directed to Queensland.com to browse the list of participating operators. They’ll have four weeks to book their accommodation/experience (booking period is 6 May – 4 June 2021), for travel up to 15 August 2021.
- When they make their booking, the customer can use their voucher to cover up to 50 per cent of the total cost, up to $100 (inc. GST). They will pay the remaining cost. The operator will claim the booking in the voucher portal and validate the unique voucher code.
- When the guest checks in to their accommodation or experience, the operator will verify their identity.
- After the guest checks out/the experience is taken, the operator marks the booking as ‘complete’ in the portal. An invoice can then be generated, and TEQ processes the reimbursement to cover the value of the voucher used on the booking.
Understand the full process in the Brisbane Holiday Dollars Operator Handbook:
Brisbane Holiday Dollars – quick timeline
22 April: Brisbane Holiday Dollars campaign announced
22 April – 4 June: Operator registration period
27 – 30 April: Consumer voucher draw open for registrations
From 6 May: Successful voucher recipients notified
6 May – 4 June: Four-week voucher booking period
6 May – 15 August: Travel validity period
Help to register and participate
- Register to participate in the operator portal
- ‘How to’ video: Help to register in the operator portal
- Brisbane Holiday Dollars Operator Handbook
- Brisbane Holiday Dollars Industry Style Guide
- Operator Support is available 8:00 – 6:00pm, Monday – Friday. Ph. 13 74 68 or email email@example.com
Supporting the industry
Brisbane has been significantly impacted by COVID-19, being the state’s top destination for international visitors, the hub for the majority of international arrivals and also becoming known as a world-class city experience that international visitors were enjoying in record numbers.
The Brisbane Holiday Dollars campaign is designed to support Brisbane’s tourism industry by inspiring Queenslanders to travel to their capital city for an escape or staycation and to get out and explore the amazing experiences on offer all around the region.
By incentivising visitors to book tourism experiences, we may also see visitors extend their length of stay which generates benefits across the tourism sector – by staying longer in their accommodation, creating more opportunities to eat out and explore the local shopping opportunities. By encouraging a longer length of stay, the campaign may further stimulate and spread visitor spend throughout the region.
The campaign will also support longer term domestic tourism growth by showcasing the diverse tourism experiences on offer in Brisbane.
The Brisbane Holiday Dollars campaign is being delivered through a partnership between Brisbane EDA and the Queensland Government.
More information about this campaign will be released soon – please check back here when the campaign is announced.